Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2024, 08:04 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Pressure Water Pump

Does anyone know how these should be wired to the power supply of the boat? I have a 2001 3300 SCR and the rocker switch has an inline bus fuse that keeps blowing with the current wiring. The existing pump won't turn on even with directly connecting to a 12v battery. I assume I need to get a new pump and switch, but want to confirm there isn't any other breakers or switches that could be causing the fuse to blow

chitownboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 09:42 PM   #2
Ensign

That's exactly right... or, it WAS exactly right at the time. I pushed the throttle a little harder and now I'm able to move it forward and back without as much pressure.

Unfortunately the motor still dies immediately when I try to shift it into gear (forward or reverse).

So to be clear: It's no longer "stuck" but it still dies immediately upon attempting to shift.

brianstonelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 10:26 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownboater View Post
Does anyone know how these should be wired to the power supply of the boat? I have a 2001 3300 SCR and the rocker switch has an inline bus fuse that keeps blowing with the current wiring. The existing pump won't turn on even with directly connecting to a 12v battery. I assume I need to get a new pump and switch, but want to confirm there isn't any other breakers or switches that could be causing the fuse to blow
If the pump is seized which it is from you described that will cause the fuse to blow. Replace the pump and fuse and you should be good to go.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 10:32 PM   #4
Admiral

It still may be stiff causing the issue. Mercruiser uses a shift interrupt switch to temporarily kill the ignition when coming out of gear but bad cables, misadjustment can screw it all up. On the starboard riser is the shift bracket where you will find the shift interrupt switch, try temporarily disconnecting one wire and see if the engine will stay running when moving the control. If it does I would replace both the upper and lower shift cables.

Mike
Old 08-28-2024, 12:28 AM   #5
Ensign

I think the switch is also bad at this point. I tested it with a new fuse installed and the pump removed and it was not showing voltage on my multimeter. Any clue the part number or where I can find a replacement fresh water pump switch that will fit in the existing hole?
chitownboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 12:12 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownboater View Post
I think the switch is also bad at this point. I tested it with a new fuse installed and the pump removed and it was not showing voltage on my multimeter. Any clue the part number or where I can find a replacement fresh water pump switch that will fit in the existing hole?
There should be voltage on one side of the switch, if not it’s not the switch but the source of power coming to it. With the fuse replaced is there voltage on both sides of the fuse. Are you certain the fuse didn’t blow again when you activated the switch?

Mike
Old 08-28-2024, 07:59 PM   #7
Ensign

At what point do I owe you partial ownership in this boat (assuming it's ever is worth owning)? Thanks for all the help!

Do you mind checking that I am identifying the relevant parts correctly in the attached picture?

Click image for larger version

Name:	shift cables.png
Views:	3
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	8170

PS - Son and I changed the oil in the drive successfully this morn!

brianstonelake is offline   Reply With Quote