Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2023, 12:07 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Adding a battery

Maybe someone who's done this can help. My SCR 3300 has 2 deep cycle batteries. One on each engine. The Starboard battery doubles as an engine starter and house. We spend a lot of time on moorings or anchor and this battery is constantly being worked and only lasts a season. I would like to add a 2nd battery to the Starboard. Is it as easy as adding the same battery and hooking them up in parallel? Will the alternator be sufficient to charge both? Will the battery charger handle a 2nd battery? I know probably much more info is needed. This is just a preliminary question. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:18 PM   #2
Admiral

Yes you can simply add a second parallel battery and if it’s the same size/rating the alternator will charge them without issue. There is also more complex ways that would have the house battery separated all together and use a device to still charge it from the alternator. Look into Blue Seas products.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:49 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Thanks Mike. I will give them a look. I don't want to over complicate things just looking to get a little better longevity between running the generator. If I can just connect another battery, I think I will do that right away. Well, not right away. We're floating on a mooring I. Newport RI right now then off to Block Island on the 5th. When I return home.

How's the Silverton treating you? Been on many trips this season?

Old 07-03-2023, 01:53 PM   #4
Admiral

Enjoy your time on the boat.

I was out on the Maxum on Friday then my girl and I took the Silverton out on Saturday. I’m not getting out as much as I would like as I have a torn meniscus in my right knee with surgery scheduled for August 3rd.

Mike
Old 07-03-2023, 04:01 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Thanks!

That's too bad about the knee. Hopefully the surgeon will fix you up and you'll be back at it in no time.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:10 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sph801 View Post
Thanks!

That's too bad about the knee. Hopefully the surgeon will fix you up and you'll be back at it in no time.

I had the same surgery on my left knee 5 years ago and recovery was fairly quick.

Mike
Old 07-04-2023, 02:27 PM   #7
Lieutenant

I would look into a lithium battery. Having built an electric car several years ago, therees no comparison for energy density, charge cycles, all that. Would be very interesting to see if something like an ecoflow could be hooked up
Chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 12:48 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

Lithium batteries are soooo expensive. Plus, being a bit green to this, I believe more than just the batteries get changed. Alternators, charger, etc.... I would love to but not right now.

I did, while on vacation , add a 2nd house battery. Couldn't pass up the price of the Interstate group 31 batteries and once I get started I'm compelled to finish! The Starboard starter / house now has (2) 100 amp hour deep cycle batteries wired in parallel. This should buy me a little extra sleep in the morning. Lol

Old 07-05-2023, 02:55 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Sounds awesome
Chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 02:13 PM   #10

I'd split out the circuit for the house to a dedicated battery bank. You'd have:

Port Start
Stbd Start
House

You could install an Automatic Charging Relay (ACR) which could charge one start battery AND the house bank.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:43 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I'm sure there are better ways than what I did and I will probably continue to read, research and educate myself on the topic.

Basically my setup now is just how the boat came except now I doubled my capacity for the house items. I will continue to manage my power when out on anchor or mooring as I did with just one "house/starting" battery. I always have my isolator switches to join the 2 banks for an emergency start.