Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2024, 04:34 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Fuel problem

Just drained the gas tank of a 1989 2000 SC with a 4.3 MERC.

The gas looked a little yellow, it had been in there for about a year and a half, Used a Holley pump to pull all the gas out put in 10 gallons of fresh and cannot get any to start pulling out of the tank again to prime it up for the system pump, Any ideas.

I was thinking of the siphon valve if this thing has one, but it is hard to see the top of the fuel tank it was flowing good before it emptied out, but it sat overnight and will not pull anything.

What all has to come out to get the tank out of these, kinda looks like the whole deck floor.

crtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:06 AM   #2
Admiral

Typically there is a screen on the pick up tube which may have clogged with debris. It unscrews from the tank but you will need access to it.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 07:09 PM   #3
Ensign

Yeah from what I see under the seat after you unscrew the seat frame and remove the seat there is a rectangular panel with four screws there in the middle of the floor, hopefully that will be the location of the pickup.

The gauge works so I wonder if it would be a good idea to replace the pickup and the anti siphon fitting.

Any idea where one could find parts for a boat this old?

The thing really runs good so I hate to just let it go, the paint is dull but it is solid except for where the anchor sits in the front anchor storage bin, the floor there is broken and the cover gone looks like from the anchor being too big and being forced into it.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:55 PM   #4
Admiral

Part number won’t help for a boat this old. Best to remove it and if the screen can’t be cleaned measure its length for buying a replacement. No paint just gel coat which can be wet sanded with 1000-2000 paper then polished.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:42 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for that info, it runs good with a straight line from a gas can and a low pressure pump hooked to it, I think we will pull the seat frame and the outlet, float and the anti siphon check valve see if we can get a video with a no spark inspection camera in the tank and go from there.

People don't realize when they park these things that they should fill them up and put Stabil or something in them or run them dry, pull the line and run enough good treated gas into the fuel filter and carb to keep them from drying out after they winterize them.

Where there is a lot of moisture like down here in the Tennessee River country, You can get Algae easily if you leave a tank half full especially with large diesel tanks.

I am hoping we can run a couple of tanks through and put an extra fuel filter/ water separator on it and get it cleared up.

Thanks again.

Tags
fuel problems