Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2024, 02:10 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Refrigerator run time

The refrigerator in my 1992 2300 SCR runs at least 60 - 70% of time. Especially when it’s hot, in the 80s 90s. I removed the refrigerator on a discovery mission and found the cabinet that it’s mounted in has almost no ventilation. Has anyone come across this, if so have you found a way to get some cooler air in?
One thing I’ve been thinking of is to mount a small cooling fan from a computer to bring in cooler air. My problem with this is, I don’t want the fan to run continuously. That would undo any efficiency gain with the refrigerator run time.
I am looking for a way to have it run only when the refrigerator is running. With a timing relay to extend ventilation by a short period. Has anyone seen any auxiliary contact or output that would perform this?`I have not been able to discover anything.
Thanks ahead of time for ideas.

sparkywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 11:53 AM   #2
Admiral

You would need to wire a circuit into the refrigerator’s thermostat circuit to do what you are looking for.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:54 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Mike for the quick response. I have also thought about tapping into the thermostat circuit, I’m very leery of doing that on something this old. I don’t know what the contacts in the thermostat are rated for if they can handle the extra load not to mention the inrush current if I put in a time delay relay.

Right now I’m leaning towards putting in a small cooling thermostat so it’ll run the fan when the temperature gets to the preset level and turn it off when it gets to the low setpoint.

Lee
sparkywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:07 AM   #4
Admiral

Hi Lee, I understand your concern with if the old equipment can reliably handle an extra load it wasn’t designed for. A separate temperature controlled circuit is the better way to go but you may want to just test to see if the fan improves the refrigerator’s performance before going for broke.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote